Monday 29 July 2013

The travelling begins



So, where to start with the travel stories. As it is summer, let’s go to somewhere hot. One of my great interests, and my main study area at the moment, is geology and this will be reflected in my travel stories as much of my travelling is through taking part in geology field trips. Through my interest in volcanoes I discovered an International environmental charity called Earthwatch which engages people worldwide in scientific field research and education to promote the understanding and action necessary for a sustainable environment (www.earthwatch.org), and so I found myself standing on an active volcano in Nicaragua. To learn more about the work of the scientists on Masaya volcano in Nicaragua, have a look at my story ‘In Search of the Scientists’ to be found at the Nicaragua link. I became so interested in the work on Masaya that I can home and wrote my own research paper looking at the effect of the volcano on the health of the children. A second visit followed where I visited children in their homes and at their schools looking at how the volcano was affecting them. Following my second visit, I stayed to explore some of the lush forest environment leading to some more adventures, but they have yet to be turned into stories . . . Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment